Sample Wednesdays at Palms Out Sounds likes to keeps its ears open. The latest to get nailed by their comparisons is Daft Punk.
Your news has been sanitized for your protection. The truth means getting dirty.
We know Robert Lang is an origami guru, but in a way, the crease patterns can be as interesting as the resulting creation.
Does living in a rich country mean your children are living well? Apparently not! (pdf warning)
A magazine dedicated to “contemporary Asian culture,” with a pleasant combination of clean design and subversion.
“Like hijacking of airplanes came ot an end in the seventies I am working to help stopping yachy piracy as well.” In other words, it’s not information for pirates. Or is it?
Translation: Crazy-Awesome Steampunk Lamps.
Tags: best of, ireneo's memory, lists, statistical significance, top 50
The 50 best links of Ireneo’s first 1000 posts, in ranked order.
1. A Woman From The Inside Out: This flash animation says more about art than any lecture I’ve sat through or tutorial I’ve read.
2. Black People Hate Me And They Hate My Glasses: “This is one of my New York stories, one of my favorite New York stories.”
3. The Vader Sessions: “I had a nervous breakdown once. After 14 years on the force, it just came upon me without any warning at all.”
4. Incredible Machines: Japan is the new Rube Goldberg.
5. While My Ukelele Gently Weeps: Jake Shimabukuro demonstrates why the ukelele is not just some toy for kids.
6. Scent Of A Robot: “I’m a robot, programmed not to know that I’m a robot! But some bonehead emailed me the computer code that makes up my soul! Now I’m running ’round, trying to forget what I know.” (.mov warning)
7. Building A BlueSniper Rifle: How to handshake with a Bluetooth device at a range of half a mile.
8. The Proceedings Of The Athanasius Kircher Society: Old Man Kircher is the king of esoterica.
9. Baby Name Wizard’s Name Voyager: Find out how popular a name way, by date, back 100 years.
10. The Show, with Ze Frank: “Thinking so you don’t have to.”
11. Cute Overload: More Cute that you can possibly imagine.
12. The Art of Jacek Yerka: Surrealism + Photorealism = Exquisite.
13. Bush Covers Sunday Bloody Sunday: Supreme video/audio chop-shoppery.
14. True Meaning Of Life: The surviving archives of a once-great, now-dead Q&A site.
15. Stupid Design Network: “The theory of Stupid Design (SD) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are so ridiculous that there must have been an unintelligent designer behind them.”
16. The Art of Jinyoung Shin: A unique, disturbing artistic style that makes Aeon Flux look like Rubens’ models.
17. The Software of Takeo Igarashi: So simple, a 5-year old could use it.
18. Google Will Eat Itself: “We buy Google via their own advertisement! Google eats itself – but in the end, ‘we’ own it.”
19. Peruvian Gothic: The incredible story of a man who left civilization.
20. Look Around You: Brilliant satirical British anti-educational films.
21. How To Do Some Idiotic Things: In case you ever need to make prison wine or bacon soap.
22. The Microsoft iPod: “We still need to communicate the richness of the product.”
23. The Infinite Cat Project: The growing chain of cats looking at cats looking at cats…
24. Harper’s Index: The statistical equivalent of popcorn: delicious and bite-sized.
25. The Animation of Bruno Bozzetto: Deserving of a lifetime achievement in Italian animation.
26. Pipe Dream: Precussion never sounded so good.
27. Ubuntu: Want a beautiful, free operating system?
28. The Lyrebird: Move over, parrot. This is the true imitator of the avian world.
29. Heatherwick Studios: Brilliant design on any scale.
30. Engrish: Japan is new English linguist.
31. The World of Music: All of music, mapped by similarity onto a sphere.
32. Bump Keying: Your locks are no longer safe.
33. The Cube: Entertaining cold-read technique/party game.
34. CDisplay: The easiest-to-use way to look at a series of pictures out there.
35. The 1k Project II: What 1000 cars look like.
36. Bug Me Not: This is not the personal information you want to to give me a “free login” that you are looking for.
37. Pictures Of Walls: Could Grafitti be the most honest form of expression?
38. Escher & The Droste Effect: Transforming Print Gallery into a fractal.
39. The Elements: Tom Lehrer has a few things to say about chemistry.
40. Myths Over Miami: The story of a religion invented by homeless, self-sufficient children.
41. Autostich: Free panoramic assembly software.
42. FAST Film: How to make 65,000still images printed on paper take on a life of their own.
43. HTMLGraph: See how your favorite (or most hated) website is built.
44. Yu-Mex: How a generation of Yugoslavians were gifted with Mexican culture by their Communist overlords.
45. Book-A-Minute: My summary of this site is longer than many of the book plot summaries provided by this site.
46. Snopes: Debunk some myths.
47. Paul Di Fillipo on the World of Wired Magazine: A scathingly insightful commentary on how Wired sees the world. (.pdf warning)
48. Will It Blend?: More verbosely, “Will our blender turn it to dust?”
49. T-Critic: The Internet’s first and best source for astute T-shirt criticism.
50. Open Secrets: We now live in a world where some things are secret by virtue of being too complex for them to be understood, even when all the facts are plainly available.