Tags: Eye Candy, infrared, landscapes, Photography
Just under two years ago, I listed the fifty best links of my first thousand posts. Here, now, are the best of the best from the second generation:
1. Knytt Stories: A free, extensible, and elegantly minimalist platforming game with rock-solid controls.
2. Gear’s Heart: A frankly astonishing piece of handiwork. Just turn to crank to experience (and recover from) heartbreak.
3. Complexification: Proof that making software that makes art is itself art.
4. One Year In 40 Seconds: Soothing time-lapse photography/animation.
5. Catatumbo: The Everlasting Storm: In Venezuela, there is a storm that has raged every night for hundreds of years.
6. This. Fucking. Election.: We’ll remember the buzzwords far longer than we remember the scandals.
7. Chicken Chicken Chicken: Chicken Chicken: Chicken chicken chicken chicken.
8. 5 Card Nancy: Telling a story competitively and cooperatively.
9. The World Community Grid: Do the right thing. Donate those clock cycles you aren’t using to charitable science.
10. And I Refuse To Forget: A short film about the power of love and the dangers of memory.
11. “Weightless” by Erika Janunger: A clever and stylish piece of media art.
12. How To Deconstruct Almost Anything: Why computer scientists probably shouldn’t take up literary criticism.
13. Cake Wrecks: The very best of the very worst of commercial cake making.
14. “Garbage Island” by VBS.TV: A raw and striking documentary about the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch.”
15. The Light Blubs of Pieke Bergmans: Light fixtures in need of a diet.
16. Dean Kamen’s “Luke Arm”: The future of prosthetic arms.
17. Evolving Clocks: Proof that evolution is a blind watchmaker, provided the clocks can breed.
18. The Comedy of Victor Borge: Classic pieces by one of the all-time great musical comedians.
19. The Junior Science Club Musical Archive: The life’s work of the prolific Logan Whitehurst.
20. Portrait Of The Godfather Using The Hand-Drawn Script: A stunning combination of design and obsessive compulsion.
21. The Loudness War: How digital recording, instead of enriching popular music, is draining it of its essence.
22. Modern Hobo Code: How hobos find the best ATMs.
23. team9: Superlative music mashups from down under.
24. “The Ecstacy of Influence” by Jonathan Lethem: A thoughtful essay about the artistic merit of plagiarism.
25. Using Photographs To Enhance A Static Scene: New tools with which your eyes can be lied to.
26. The Hauntening: Short film showing what happens when the ghosts aren’t too bright.
27. Garfield Minus Garfield: Easily the most brilliant of the Garfield remixes on the net.
28. Keepon: The most adorable of all the robots.
29. How To: The Droste Effect: Escherize your photos.
30. Teach The Starlings: A mad quest to educate starlings about their origins.
31. “City of Shadows” by Alexey Titarenko: Haunting, eerie long-exposure photography.
32. The Reimagined Still-Life Paintings Of Jose Manuel Ballester: Imagine your favorite paintings with all the people removed.
33. Wordle: A powerful and intuitive new text visualization web application.
34. Principles of Economics, Translated: What economists really think about, behind the buzzwords.
35. The Disumbrationist Hoax: One man humiliated the art world by revealing that it will accept anything as genius.
36. Kids In Mind: Movie Ratings That Work: Forget G through NC-17. This site has the best movie rating system you’ve ever seen.
37. Ladies of the Ages: Beauty through the generations.
38. The Wooden Mirror: Your reflection, in animatronic wood.
39. “My Paper Mind” by Javan Ivey: The baffling beauty of stratastencil animation.
40. Seven Deadly Glasses: The sins, as hilarious wine glasses.
41. “Always Outsiders, Never Outdone” by The Prodigy: A free album of solid remixed electronica.
42. Igudesman & Joo: Comedic chamber music, provided the chamber is a rubber room.
43. The Journey of Mankind: Our current best guess at human migration.
44. Books That Make You Dumb: See what kind of brains those who like the same books as you are sporting.
45. Lost Cities: Photographing the ruins of lost civilizations the world over.
46. How To Make A Crowd Without Extras: How to turn a car load of props and a couple of guys into an entire war.
47. Map of Humanity: All that we are, in geographic form.
48. Ambigram.Matic: If you’re looking for a site that generates ambigrams, look no further!
49. Beyond Red & Blue: Understanding America’s political landscape using subdivisions other than state lines.
50. Norwegian Recycling: A young kid with real talent for chopping & mashing music.
Tags: Education, freeware, Games, Gratis, guitar, Music, Software
Tired of Rock Band/Guitar Hero and want to learn a real instrument? Behold the next generation of rhythm game, now with extra Gratis.
Tags: Animation, Film, hans solo, Humor, remix, science fiction
Tags: cadillac, cars, concept cars, FutureTech, Technology, Vehicles, wtf
Tags: bubbles, cold, Eye Candy, freezing, Photography
Tags: Animation, Art, Drawing, Painting, paranoiac, remix, salvador dali
Tags: Design, Reference, tesselation, tiles, tiling, Webware
Need some tiling patterns? Or possibly hundreds of them? Look no further!
Tags: Gratis, jay-z, mashup, minty fresh beats, Music, radiohead
Tags: abstract, Eye Candy, fractals, Gratis, Mathematics, Software, wallpapers
Tags: agnosticism, atheism, Biology, creationism, Philosophy, Religion, Science, skepticism
Tags: be seeing you, Gratis, paranoia, Television, the prisoner
Tags: alternate history, Art, Marco Polo, Painting
Tags: Eye Candy, Photography, time-lapse, video